the ys middle school ministry summit took place at spring hill camp in evart, michigan, in mid-september. 45 paid junior high or middle school-only youth workers attended. these are the mostly unedited notes. remember, they’re notes on a dialogue of 45 voices, not a refined set of ideas…
MINISTRY TO BOYS
what questions do we have?
– How do you tailor small groups for boys?
– How do you keep boys?
– Getting Dads.
– Learning to teach boys
– Training boys to be men
– We have a lot of single parent families
– There are so many more loner guys than years ago. /Helping them build friendships
– Making sure some don’t go into a homosexual direction
– How do we minister to boys into porn.
– Let the staff choose their type of students
– Balance the group with 2 leaders and two different ages
– Meeting off site at homes
– Give lots of space for play
– We have snack every week, and it is the last thing we do
– Most of the groups are closed
– Allow some jokes. Don’t form an intense Christian bubble.
– Guys get freaked out about talking about porn at church.
– The play factor is huge!!!
– Everything in 6th grade leads up to ministry in 8th grade.
– In 6th grade, let the boys play with something in their hands in the small group time.
Connecting with and keeping boys
– Sometimes you can keep the leader as their leader when they move to high school, on the other hand, some people are just made for jr. high
– Give your boys jobs – chairs, trash, snack shop,
– Camping trips
– Sports game
– Guys event – Burly
– Dad and son event
– Mother and son event
Connecting with the Dads
– Training day – How do you be a dad?
– Bring students to the men’s retreat, but break the students off in their own seasons.
Relevant teaching styles
– Sports/coaching teaching maybe be blunt and relating things in a team and action context
– Telling your boys that you are proud of you
– Boys need to know that they are safe!! They need to feel safe.
– Boys will talk in small groups in the right context.
– Read the book Teenage Guys
– XXX Church
– Every young man’s battle
– Read the book –When young men are tempted.
– Bring HS/College guys in to tell a testimony.
– Read the book (for dads) Preparing your son for every young man’s battle