i liked this little Q&A i saw over on josh treece’s blog. thought i’d give it a spin…
1) What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
– wrote a book that wasn’t curriculum or for kids
– chucked a well-prepared talk mere hours before addressing thousands of youth workers
– spoke at a major catholic youth ministry event
– attended world youth day
– visited banff, canada
– flew in a lay-flat airplane seat, on an overnight flight
– got up on a wakeboard
– pulled together a major presentation on two internet ideas
– saw my daughter start high school
– commuted to work using mass-transit
– turned 45
2) Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don’t make new year’s resolutions
3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
yes, a few. among them, my cousin and my friend jessica. ys staffer beth slevcove is ready to pop any day.
4) Did anyone close to you die?
5) What countries did you visit?
mexico, canada, argentina, england, new zealand, australia, guatemala
6) What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
– clarity about the future
– reduced travel
– more compassion and presence
7) What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
– jan 2: first time i met my boss, and sensed that this was going to be good
– july 19: the evening worship service at world youth day, with 500,000 pilgrims
– august 29: the day we moved into our new house
– november 4: the day our country elected a new president
8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
i think it was passionately writing youth ministry 3.0
9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
10) What was the best thing you bought?
our new house would have to rate at the top on this one!
11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
– quite a bit of obama’s
– mccain’s concession speech (dang classy)
– ed noble and the other pastors of my church for not jumping all over prop 8
– brian berry for hiring christina as our middle school pastor
– liesl, my daughter, for taking responsibility for her own homework this year
– dave palmer and adam mclane, for moving their families all the way to cali to join ys; and mark matlock for choosing to trust ys with his baby, planet wisdom
– bob carlton and mark dowds, for coming to my rescue more than once when i needed smarter brains than my own
– bob jones for confessing they were wrong about interracial dating
12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
– so much of so many of the candidates, as well as the media, during the never ending election process
– multiple other politicians
– those in the church who are convinced that hate is, somehow, acceptable when one is “defending truth”
– my own, many times
13) Where did most of your money go?
mortgage, kids’ school tuition, bills, giving
14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
– oh, i’d be dishonest if i didn’t say the release of youth ministry 3.0. also, when i first read kenda dean’s foreword.
– our family vacation to banff and radium hot springs, canada
– my trip to sydney for world youth day
– settling in our new house
– how much i enjoyed riding the trolley to work
15) What song will always remind you of 2008?
– knights of cydonia, by muse
– viva la vida, by coldplay
– empty walls, by serj tankian
– and, unfortunately, i kissed a girl, by katy perry
16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? uh, man, i hope so
Healthier? yeah, a bit, i think. lost 60 pounds early in the year and got in good shape. have regressed quite a bit, but not back all the way!
17) What do you wish you’d done more of?
18) What do you wish you’d done less of?
opposite of last answer
19) How did you spend Christmas?
four “christmases”, really:
– on dec 20 with my immediate fam, in our home in la mesa, california
– on dec 23 with my parents and sisters and some cousins, in canton, michigan
– morning of dec 25 with my maternal grandparent’s relatives in port huron, michigan
– afternoon of dec 25 with my wife’s family, in dearborn heights, michigan
20) Did you fall in love in 2008?
already there. found new things to love about jeannie, though.
21) What was your favorite blog post that you wrote?
that’s a tough one. i have a post in my “best of 2008” series coming in the next few days with a handful of my favorite posts; but choosing one is a challenge. i’ll go with the bit of honest self-disclosure in poser week
22) What were your favorite TV programs?
i’m posting my favorites tomorrow. but i’ll name the best of the favorites here: the office.
23) Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
man, that’s strong language. i don’t think so…
24) What was the best book you read?
posted my favorites the other day. but if i had to pick one (ooh, this is hard), i’ll go with sin boldly, by cathleen falsani.
25) What was your greatest musical discovery?
longer post on music favorites coming in the next few days. but, picking one that was truly a discovery, i’ll go with the suprising beauty of the peasall sisters.
26) What did you want and get?
– a new house, in the kind of neighborhood we hoped for, with the smaller size and lower mortgage we’d hoped for.
– kids i enjoy more every year.
– a new boss who believes in me and energizes me.
– a sector 9 longboard.
27) What did you want and not get?
28) What was your favorite film of this year?
posting a list tomorrow; but if i had to choose one, i’ll go with the dark knight
29) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
turned 45. had a fun dinner with my family.
30) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
it’s no secret i was inspired by obama. i don’t know that he qualifies as a true celebrity, but worship leader matt maher has become a highly valued friend this year.
31) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
middle-aged casual hint-of-emo
32) What kept you sane?
no question, my family
33) Who did you miss?
still miss yac. missed my buddy and ys publisher jay howver a good deal this year also, as he doesn’t live in san diego. missed my family when i was traveling.
34) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
i will never have this* figured out (*insert a wide variety of items here)
35) What did you gain this year?
– a deeper love for my wife and children
– a deeper sense of who i am
– a simpler life, in some ways
– a deeper sense of community with my home church
– some new friends
36) What did you lose this year?
– 60 pounds
– a big house with a pool and a hot tub
– a car
– a sense that ys can just continue as we have
37) Who was the best new person you met?
ooh. “best person”? that’s weird language. um, let’s say this: my life has been enriched this year by either meeting or deepening relationships with the following people…
– matt maher
– brian berry
– christina robertson
– a handful of new ys staff (mark and jonathan matlock, adam mclane, brittany marsh, linda brangwynne, bethany marvin, dave palmer)
– dave gibbons
– andy marin
– the four new guys in my 6th grade guys small group, and my co-leader, brett linsday
– the people in my home church
38) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things
Grace finds beauty
Grace finds goodness
Here’s to ’09…