1. at halo 2, john is better than me in slayer and i am better than him in king of the hill.
2. playing halo 2 on a big sheet more than once while camping constitutes said halo 2 monopolizing the camping trip, and does not please one’s wife.
3. the “hike” out to the falls at julia pfeiffer burns state park is beautiful, and just as important, the most absurdly simple and easy walk of my life. that was my kind of hike. it was about as much effort as walking to the refrigerator.
4. the tri-tip from costco makes me very, very gassy.
5. when one’s daughter accidentally leaves chunks of tri-tip in the rented minivan, (a) said minivan reeks the next morning, and (b) one is glad it was the rented vehicle, and not one’s own.
6. a game of texas hold-em can go on for hours if players insist on giving each other chips when that other player is about to go out.
it was a day of great learning.