we almost didn’t get video from The Summit this year. we had a professional videographer all lined up, and he cancelled the day of the event in a rather not-so-professional-after-all way. luckily, my partner in The Youth Cartel is both a quick thinker and the owner of a very nice camera, and we had a friend there who was willing to “oversee” it.
so here we go, just a month later, with a little editing magic from adam. 18 videos, all in a TED style. our theme this year was ALL, loosely riffing on the shema (love the lord your god with all your heart, soul, mind and strength). seriously, it’s very rare that you can find a collection of short (the shortest is just over 8 minutes, but most are 12 – 15) videos that will challenge you to think in new ways about youth ministry. use them for training and discussion at your church; or just watch them for your own development. as we said at the beginning of the live event, the real intent of The Summit is not to get you to DO what these presenters suggest, per se. the real intent is that the holy spirit would use these to help you dream new dreams.
so, you can buy the whole lot of ’em for fifty bucks. this year they’re on vimeo pro, which gives you the option of downloading (for use with a team or something) or streaming (quicker, for your own viewing). you can also buy one session’s videos for twenty five bucks, or an individual video for ten. click here to buy.
Session 1: Soul
- Bryan Loritts (The Anchor of Your Soul)
- Lem Usita (Identity Formation and Youth Workers)
- Holly Rankin Zaher (Dancing with Faith and Doubt)
- Paul Martin (What Playing Guitar Taught Me About YM)
- Nkiru Okafor (The Dark Night of the Soul)
- Luke MacDonald (Going All In)
Session 2: Mind
- Bethany Stolle (Design and Co-Creation)
- Crystal Kirgiss (Changing Views of YM Throughout History)
- David Crowder (The Process of Creativity)
- Michelle Benzinger (Beauty Will Save the World)
- Carlos Cedeño (Giving Your Ministry Away)
- Annie Lockhart (Imagination as the Starting Point of YM)
Session 3: Strength
- Brad Montegue (Making Things Simple Without Being Simplistic)
- Christy Lang (Bible Interpretation: Starting With Teeenagers’ Interpretation)
- Jeffrey Wallace (Redefining Urban as a Survival Mindset)
- Theresa Mazza (Re-Imagining Yourself as a Youthworker-at-Large)
- Mark DeVries (A Modest Response to the Death of YM)
Session 4: Heart
- Mark Oestreicher (Choosing the Unchosen and Unloved)
and to give you a little taste of these babies, here’s brad montague’s talk on “making things simple without being simplistic.” brad is the creator of the Kid President videos that have been so viral over the last year or two. he gets hundreds (thousands?) of speaking requests from every sector of society, and he accepts very few of them. so we were truly honored to have him join us. watch and enjoy!
and, speaking of The Summit, we’re officially moving to nashville for next fall. dates are november 7 and 8. of course, there are LOTS more details to come, but we have a super-special “use up the dregs of your 2013 youth ministry budget” deal right now: a $25 deposit locks in the lowest rate of $109/person. we’ll invoice you for the balance in late summer of 2014. these deposits are non-refundable, but fully transferable. click here to go for it!