several years ago, youth specialties started the national pastors convention, a very cool event with many of the values and vibe of our national youth workers convention (but aimed at pastors and ministers). when ys went through a re-focusing on our mission a few years ago, we handed this great event off to our then-partners, zondervan. it’s a truly unique convention for pastors, in my opinion, because of its breadth.
the convention is held in my own city: san diego (not a bad place to visit in the middle of the winter!). and they still need a dozen or so volunteers. volunteering at the event is such a cool opportunity. those who volunteer at our youth workers convention always tell us they find it extremely fulfilling. many of them return to volunteer year after year.
here’s the info:
Convention Help Needed!
We’re looking for a few good folks who enjoy long days, hard work, community, and serving others by volunteering for the 2008 National Pastors Convention on February 26–29, 2008 in sunny San Diego. We’re in need of volunteers to serve on the following teams or in the following ways: Main Stage, NPC Store/Order-taking, Information Center, Registration (full-time and part-time), Set-up/Tear-down, AV/Speaker Care, Spanish Translators.
• Main Stage (strong, sturdy and have the ability to lift between 50 lbs and 100 lbs)
• AV/Speaker Care (familiar with operation of AV equipment)
• NPC Store/Order Taking (stocking, cash registers, order taking)
• Information Center (good customer service, smile a lot as you assist attendees/staff)
• Full-time Registration (familiarity with the Internet and computer based programs, good customer service)
• Part-time Registration (familiarity with the Internet and computer-based programs, good customer service)
• Set-up/Tear-down (strong, sturdy, and have good interpersonal skills)
• Spanish Translators (have good interpersonal skills and fluency in both Spanish and English)
If you volunteer at NPC in the NPC Store/Order-taking, the Information Center, full-time Registration, the Main Stage, AV/Speaker Care, or as a Spanish Translator, you will receive the following:
• Free convention registration
• Free room and board (some meals are per diem, others will be ordered for group)
• Zondervan/NPC care package
• Ten free tapes of general sessions and elective seminars (your choice)
• Great camaraderie!
Expectations: You will begin Sunday, February 24 at 8 am and finish Friday, February 29 at 6 pm. It is imperative that you are available for the entire time. Applicants available for only part of the time will not be selected. The amount of the convention that you will be able to see depends on the job you have. The hours can be very long and sometimes exhausting, but the job is exhilarating and rewarding!
If you volunteer at NPC in part-time Registration, Set-up/Tear-Down you will receive the following:
• Free convention registration (NOTE: This is a great way to attend the convention for free! Generally, these volunteers are those in ministry who are planning on attending the convention anyway.)
• Free meals on the days you work (some meals are per diem, some ordered as a group)
• Zondervan/NPC care package
• Great camaraderie!
Expectations: Unlike our other convention volunteers, Part-time Registration volunteers and Set-up/Tear-down volunteers are only required to serve on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Friday Afternoon. Apart from those times, they are free to attend the convention sessions as a regular attendee. Part-time Registration volunteers will miss all or part of these sessions: Pre-convention options, Early-Bird Seminars, General Session #1 and Seminar Series #1. You will begin Sunday, February 24 at 8 am and finish Friday, February 29 at 6 pm. It is imperative that you are available for the entire time on the days that you are needed. Applicants available for only part of the time will not be selected. The hours can be very long and sometimes exhausting, but the job is exhilarating and rewarding!
How to apply
Apply individually, as a couple, or as a team. If you are applying with others, please include the names of those you are applying with in the space provided on the application. Each individual must complete an application form. Please be specific – it gives you a better chance of being selected. You must complete the application entirely or your application will not be considered. All applicants will be notified before November 1, 2007, as to whether or not they have been selected.
Complete the application form and either mail or fax to: National Pastors Convention c/o Zondervan Attn: Elaina Morey, 5300 Patterson Ave. SE Grand Rapids, MI 49530 or fax to: (616) 698-3421.
here’s a link to the NPC site, where you can find the volunteer application.
One thought on “volunteers needed for the national pastors convention”
I noticed that there is a deadline for this, but since it came out on a recent newsletter, is this still open to people interested in volunteering? Please advise.