in the first ‘tribal gathering’ (our main sessions) at the middle school ministry campference, i took the group through our “camp rules.” i’d like to think they are fairly one-of-a-kind for a youth ministry training event (or any church ministry event for that matter):
- If you ask permission, you will be shunned.
- Most things on the schedule are optional.
- The rest of the things on the schedule are optional.
- If you even think about breaking curfew, you will be praised.
- If you sleep through breakfast or a meeting, you get spirit points.
- A lack of interruptions during breakouts will not be tolerated.
- For reals: We are peers here. Seriously.
- The only thing that is not optional: it is not an option to be a dominating, arrogant, longwinded douchebag.
- No one cares how crappy or lovely you sing. Bring it. We love you.
- Play Hard. Try something new. Eat something bad for you. Unload something (it’s safe here).
- This is Vegas.
- Be here.
probably wouldn’t be wise to use these for a youth event; but, you know, this was for adults. :)