this movie blew me away. a big part of it was that i really didn’t know anything about it, and had formed a completely wrong assumption about what the movie was about, based only on the trailer. i thought it was about some kids who actually stumble into a (real) alternative reality. you know, like, zathura. or something like that.
no, while that may have been fine, it’s much better than that. it’s really the story of two young teens who don’t quite fit in for one reason or another. they befriend each other, exercise their creativity (that’s the alternative reality of terabithia — it’s just their wonderful imagination) as a way of finding safety and adventure, and deal with some tough stuff. i don’t think this is a spoiler… but i will say i was sucker-punched by not knowing anything about the plot line, and boy-howdy did i cry. whew!
the acting was surprisingly good for a movie with kids, and there weren’t simple answers given, which i appreciated. my whole family enjoyed it. highly recommended.
and it couldn’t have been more different than ghost rider. mike had a good description for ghost rider: entertaining. was it a “good” movie? c’mon. of course not. that wasn’t the point, was it? were we entertained? absolutely. my friend steve case emailed me this hilarious list of questions he was left with after seeing the film, which i find substantially more funny after seeing the movie:
Ten Questions We Are Left Wondering At The End Of The Movie Ghost Rider
1. If you make a deal with the devil for “all the right reasons” will God give you a second chance?
2. If your superpowers are given to you by the devil (or some variation thereof) can you use them to fight for justice?
3. How come all the people who sign a “deal with the devil” have never seen a “deal with the devil” movie?
4. Why does the script writer make every possible joke about “skulls” and “hotheads” but not one “flaming” joke?
5. Is it possible that Peter Fonda and Nicholas Cage made a bet to see who could be the most “over the top” before getting fired?
6. Has Peter Fonda ever made a movie without a motorcycle?
7. How many more movies will Peter Fonda make before he morphs completely into his father.
8. If a flaming missile shot down the middle of the city why does no one call homeland security?
9. Do we, as Christians, believe in doing penence or not? Let’s get this settled once and for all.
10. Exactly what number tensel strength is the piano wire that they used to tie the button on the front of Eva Mendes blouse. If that thing pops, somebody is going to lose an eye?