hey youth workers: have you heard of The Life Book? it’s a nicely designed gospel of john with additional comments and interaction bits, aimed at teenagers. it’s designed as a simple, non-coercive ‘gift’ for teenagers to give out to their friends and classmates. and thanks to support from the Gideons, it’s completely free. in fact, more than 1.3 million teenagers have given out more than 19 million copies of The Life Book since 2010.
there are certainly a couple levels of benefit surrounding this. first, it gets the gospel of john into the hands of teenagers who would never step into your church or youth group. but it’s also a pretty cool discipleship step for christian teenagers, an onramp to having spiritual conversations with friends. this sort of verbal articulation of faith, we’re finding (most notably in mandy drury’s research on the importance of ‘testimony’ in adolescent faith formation) is critically important to developing a faith that last beyond youth group attendance.
i like the people at The Life Book also. they’re not weird. they’re good hearted, genuine people who really care about teenagers. so i feel good about telling you about them. we’re doing some stuff with them at our event, The Summit, this year also. and for those of you who order anything from The Youth Cartel store in august and september (and as long as our supply lasts), you’ll find you get a copy of The Life Book with your order.
so i’d totally encourage you to do a couple things:
- order copies of The Life Book for your group to give out.
consider linking your distribution week with others during National Evangelism Week (NEW), september 20 – 26.
for more info, or to place an order, click here.
here’s some info straight from the peeps at The Life Book:
For National Evangelism Week:
- We just made it up. Why? We thought it would be awesome if we all focused on both Evangelism and Prayer during the week of See You at the Pole.
- Imagine one week focused on Evangelism and Prayer. September 20th- 26th, 2015
- Make your request for Free Life Books by August 31st (that’s next monday!) to get them in time for this week.
- What is The Life Book? The Life Book contains the Gospel of John (ESV) and includes interactive student comments and scripture helps for issues students face. Over 1.3
Million students have handed out over 19 Million Life Books since 2010.
- Can students give them out beyond National Evangelism Week? Yes. Feel free to request 2500 Free Life Books and have your students hand them out all throughout the
school year. This is a great way to foster an evangelistic mindset in students. (Our experience recommends you request 25 Life Books per student in your youth group to
- Is it really free? Absolutely. No strings attached. We are wholly funded by The Gideons International.
- Is this only for churches? Yes. We can only provide free Life Books to Church pastors and youth leaders.